In this world we humans have some basic amenities such as food, water and shelter. In addition to these we need some comforts to ease our lives such as vehicles, air conditioners, refrigerators and the most important aerosol deodorants (because we need to smell good). We have industries manufacturing these daily pleasures of ours and its emission and effluents adding worsening the situation. As an old saying “Excess of everything is bad” and we humans are always indulged in overdoing things so a situation arises called ‘pollution’.
Pollution is a heterogeneous complex mixture of gases, liquids and particulate matter (PM) that comes out of man-made or natural sources. The greenhouse gases such CO, CFCs, SO2, CH4 causing global warming, thus indirectly affecting us. Pollutants like CO, SO2, N20 cause different health hazards which have a short term or long term effect on our health. Prolonged exposure to these pollutants cause grievous such as lungs cancer, emphysema, cardiovascular diseases. There are similar water pollutants such as heavy metals (Hg, Ag), organic and inorganic materials. Due to the direct dumping of such pollutants into the water bodies without treatment causes deposition of such in the water bodies. Intake of water from such sources can cause Metal poisoning such as ‘Mercury poisoning’ and multiple organ failure. Artificial light and noise often drawn out of landscapes. In Artic sound of oil and gas exploration are so loud that the Belugas and whales have difficulty in feeding and breeding. Light pollution disrupts the circadian rhythms in humans and animals leading to cancers and losing of routes in seas and oceans by the creature.
There is nothing to be surprised of that the number of casualties due to various ailments arising out of the pollution is going on increasing. As nowadays we have heard about capital becoming the most polluted city of India followed but our other major metropolitan cities. There is need of surveillance and strict adherence to rules that governs the pollution control. Measures such as treatment of the emission and the effluent of the factories before release or dump into air or water respectively. Setting up industries on the outskirts of the cities. Vehicle pooling and more use of public transport is a major step toward decreasing the air pollution.
As we humans need fresh air to breath and water to survive, we need this very environment of ours for our very survival. A human can survive for 3 days without water but only mere 3 minutes without air. So don’t let our future go up in smoke. “Stopping pollution is the best solution”
Skin is the important body entity and its care is the variety of practice that supports skin integrity, enhances its appearance and relieve skin conditions. The various skin care practices majorly are comprised of supplementary nutrition, prevention of excessive sun exposure and suitable use of emollients. Practices that will enhance appearance also which include the use of cosmetics, botulinum, exfoliation, and latest specific fillers, laser resurfacing, microdermabrasion, peels, retinol therapy.
Skincare is a routine daily procedure in many settings, such as skin that is either too dry or too moist and prevention of dermatitis and prevention of skin injuries.
Skincare is a part of the treatment of wound healing, radiation therapy and some medications.
Skin care is important throughout the life cycle of a human not considering of gender. This important body covering breathes, perspires, stretches, and fits like a glove.
This definitely includes skincare needs as well as cosmetic methods and techniques.
- The first step in any skin care routine is to rid herself of things that harm the body like external chemicals which are (smoking, tanning beds, baking in the sun, too much alcohol).
Skin is reflective of heredity, health patterns, and habits. Eating correctly, exercising regularly, drinking adequate amounts of water, and getting sufficient rest/sleep.
- skin care is mainly protection, exfoliation (ridding the skin of dead cells), and nourishment (inside out and outside in).
- avoid using any soaps that are manufactured and sold in bar form (unless recommended by a dermatologist) the body soap on the face as it is too strong and harsh. The face should be washed with use of lukewarm water rather than hot as it directly affects the pores of skin leaving them open and more parties enter the skin
- Exfoliation is a chemical method that causes the skin to produce new skin which is more youthful and has less dead layer skin cells.
- in cold weather conditions, Immediate application of moisturizer and lotion after taking a bath or shower is extremely important as body’s moisture-producing/moisture-locking glands become less active after age 40 and this method helps maintain the skin integrity. The skin complexion frequently requires additional moisturizers.
- as the damage to the inner skin that is lasting, use of a proper sunscreen with appropriate SPF values is necessary as it is different for different skin types. A sunscreen of at least SPF 15 is recommended for most individuals.
- skin cosmetics like Creams, lotions, cosmetics, or commercial concoctions regardless of price or promise do not permanently bring back the original texture of the skin
- Avoid excessive weight loss as loss of water also affects skin texture
- Use of heavy makeup affects the skin due to the chemicals present hence a light makeup is advised for as an enhancement, not as a camouflage; to conceal
- Makeup formulations on the markets have to be assessed whether they do not clog pores. Revaluation of makeup products and techniques periodically is necessary for maintaining skin health.
Facelift surgery a medical procedure performed to reduce the manifestation of facial wrinkles and premature signs of ageing, with the objective of recovering the overall facial appearance and jaw. Facelift surgery helps to reverse the harmful effects of time, stress, and exposure to the related elements.
The procedure includes an experienced plastic surgeon lifting and further tightening the underlying muscles of the face generating more aesthetically and satisfying contours with further enhancing the appearance
An experienced, accomplished plastic surgeon will only perform this procedure with an artistic eye and astonishing attention to detail so that fellow patients will be leaving with insignificant scar and fine-looking, exhibiting natural-looking results.
To add value to traditional full facelifts, there are more than a few previous variation of the procedure to deal with specific areas of the face. Many surgeons majorly use advanced and minimally invasive techniques to reduce uneasiness and downtime. As Facelifts are not covered by insurance; there are many excellent financing options to help rhytidectomy patients supervise the cost of this procedure.
For competent patients, facelift surgery can be an outstanding investment, on condition that a fresher, more youthful appearance is maintained for years to come.
THE FACTORS THIS PROCEDURE INCLUDES
- Skin flexibility: A good facelift applicant will have skin that has a propensity to keep hold of some of its natural suppleness and flexibility. This is an important factor as during the procedure, the surgeon first tightens the facial skin to reduce the further appearance of wrinkles. Successful completion of procedure and healing with optimal results depends on having skin that is confirmed to its new, improved contours.
- Strong bone structure: a facelift applicant will have a well-defined underlying bone structure to provide a strong under support and contribute to satisfying results post surgery. Patients with less distinct bone features may not benefit much from facial implants as an alternative or addition to a facelift.
- Realistic expectations: Consulting a qualified trained plastic surgeon in this procedure can always help a patient obtain the necessary information needed to make the right decision about this facelift surgery.
- Good and large health: A good facelift applicant will have to be generally healthy and will inform his or her surgeon of any preexisting medical conditions well in advance. A facelift is an intensely invasive procedure that requires significant healing and recovery, so it is indispensable that the patient is physically prepared for surgery.
- Loose skin on the face or neck: Facelift candidates typically want to remove excess skin from the face or neck, tightening skin and reducing the appearance of wrinkles simultaneously. The surgeon trims the loose skin during the procedure.
THE FACELIFT PROCEDURE INCLUDES
Step 1 – Anesthesia
Medications are administered for the comfort during the surgical procedure. The medication choices include intravenous sedation and general anaesthesia.
A variety of other procedures can further enhance the outcome of a facelift. They include:
- Facial implants or fat transfer to improve contour
- Resurfacing techniques to improve the tone and texture of facial skin
- Wrinkle reduction by injection of fat or fillers
Step 2 – The incision
Depending on the degree of change the patient expects, the facelift choices include a traditional facelift, limited incision facelift or a neck lift.
Step 3 – Closing the incisions
The incisions will be closed with sutures that may dissolve or may need to be removed after a few days. Some surgeons use skin glues to seal the incisions.
Losing weight has become a mandatory measure of survival in today’s lifestyle. It is vital to maintaining proper weight to avoid further chronic disease development in the later stages of life. Hence for more proper weight loss, we need to maintain a proper diet. Losing weight is completely using the saturated body fat for metabolism purposes. Hence a diet for the same should be followed.
The quick tips for a properly balanced weight loss regimen are:
- Have regular meals
- Eat in proper time periods
- Get homemade food
- Keep healthy and fresh food on the go
- Include all types of food types.
- Choose smaller size plates for eating less
- Avoid direct sugar and salt
- Eat more fibers like fruits, veggies, and nuts
- Keep a flexible diet plan.
The important foods which should be added to the weight loss regimen are:
- Almonds: they are the best source of monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats, helping in lowering body cholesterol. The constant the minimal calories thane any nuts and plenty of fiber and vitamin E. individuals who supplementary a daily portion of almonds to a low-calorie diet lost more mass than those who followed the same diet but ate a carb-heavy snack such as crackers instead.
- Apple: they contain pectin, which helps in slowing down digestion, keeping the stomach full. It acts as a natural appetite suppressant. They are also a good source of antioxidants, vitamin c, and fibers.
- Avocados: they are a storehouse of magnesium, potassium and other macronutrients.
- Bananas: they are the perfect source of resistant starch. They resist food cravings and keep the stomach full. They regulate blood pressure, replenish nutrients after the workout.
- Coffee: caffeine in coffee is a good source for speeding the body’s metabolism. A study in Physiology & Behaviour found that the average metabolic rate of people who drank caffeinated coffee was 16% higher than those who drank only decaf.
- Dark chocolate: contains a good amount of monosaturated fatty acids, speeding up the body’s metabolism. It also curbs chocolate cravings.
- Green tea: they are packed with antioxidants helping in fat burning, inflammation prevention and increase the energy.
- Lemons: apart from adding taste to the regular food, it serves as a pectin fiber, and a vital source of vitamin C.
- Oatmeal: they boost metabolism resisting starch and have 4.6 grams in half serving
- Oranges: from the family of citrus fruits, they contain low calories and plenty of fiber.
- Peanut butter: the favorite meal since childhood, it is a great source of protein and healthy fats. Having small snacks during the day that include a lean protein such as peanut butter with complex carbs (like an apple or banana) can also help keep your metabolism running smoothly.
- Pumpkin: Pumpkin is packed with filling fiber which contains more than 20% of the daily recommended amount and potassium, vitamin B, and beta-carotene. And it’s low in calories but naturally sweet, making it the perfect ingredient for guilt-free baked goods.
“Fitness is not about being better than someone else, it’s about better than you used to be”. This quote should be taken as a key principal for all the teenagers who are enthusiast towards the bodybuilding and gymming trends. In this article, we will talk about what should be adapted and what should not be to achieve a perfect fitness goals.
Teenage is an exponential growth phase of an individual. At this phase body ask for the high nutrition to achieve the correct growth. There are lots of myths associated with the teenage bodybuilding and one of the biggest is that doing weightlifting and regular gyming can stunt their growth. But the truth is that if it is done under proper supervision than it can definitely improve your game.
What should be adopted?
- Nutrition for teens: To achieve your dream fitness goal one should give ample amount of nutrition to it. You need to have balanced diet to keep your body energized and grow properly. A balanced diet includes raw materials high in nutritive values of carbs, proteins, fats and fibers. To attain proper body mass and weight one should have a good diet.
- In carbohydrates, you can have a bowl of oatmeal, sweet potatoes, rice and corns. Approximately of 40-50 gms of carbohydrates should be included in each servings.
- In fibres, one can include ½ cup of raw broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, pepper etc. with each serving weighs approximately 6gm.
- In proteins chicken breast, egg whites, turkey, fish and size of each serving will be approximately 30-50 gms.
- Good fat list includes extra virgin olive oil or organic flaxseed oil.
Be hydrated: Throughout the day drink about 0.66x your bodyweight in ounces of water. To excrete all the toxic waste of out of your body one should drink ample amount of water. Dehydration of muscles can lead to painful cramps.
Avoid taking shortcuts: The mantra of bodybuilding is S=Dx (T+N+R) where S stands for the success which can only be achieved when D- determination is multiplied and added with T- training, N-proper nutrition, R- rest and recovery. None of the step should be missed out to achieve your fit body goals. Don’t skip your meals with supplements and never go for steroids as they can cause serious damage to your health.
Recommended movements: To get the best results some of the recommended movements are as following
- Chest: bench press, incline bench press, chest dips
- Back: deadlifts, barbell rows, dumbbell rows, pull ups.
- Shoulder: Military press, seated barbell press, seated dumbbell press.
- Triceps – Close grip bench Press, dips, bench dips.
Get a proper check-up: Consult the doctor before engaging in to any of the body building programmes and get yourself checked for any of the abnormalities or risk of cardiac or bone diseases.
What should be avoided?
- Avoid the injuries: you should not focus so much on lifting the heaviest weights to maintain good form. Good form can only be achieved if you train under expert supervision to avoid the risk of injuries and this will definitely help in better development.
- Avoid fancy supplements: Most people think that supplements are the most important part of gaining muscle but is not totally true. Supplements are just additions to an already good nutrition and training program. Supplements do not make up for improper training and in teenage one should avoid taking testosterone enhancing supplements. When an individual is at his teen the level of testosterone is already very high and there is no need of supplements whereas instead of fancy supplements one can take protein bar or ready to drink shakes. About 1.6 grams of protein each day for each kilogram that you weigh is optimal for an individual and one should not overdo protein in their diet with unnecessary supplements.
- Take proper sleep: Our body needs about 7-8 hours of sleep and if you want to achieve healthy and fit body one should take proper sleep. Teenagers generally likes to stay awake for late night but this habit affects their concentration and stamina and they will get distracted from their fitness dream goals.
“You are never fully dressed without your smile”
Isn’t it is true that smile is the best curve and we all wish for white sparkling smile. Now we all are very much aware about brushing and in twenty first century, it’s a morning routine which we follow certainly. But in this article, we will talk about the additive practice with brushing which is not quite famous in India is “dental floss”. Joel Spolsky said that, “Writing specs is like flossing: everybody agrees that it’s a good thing, but nobody does it.”This statement by Joel clearly expressed that being a good habit flossing is still not practised faithfully.
History of floss!
In year 1819, Levi Spear Parmly was the first to introduce the idea of interdental cleaning with filamentous material along with dentifrices and tooth brush. Later in 1882, unwaxed silk floss was introduced by Codman & Shurtleff. But in year 1887, Johnson & Johnson were the one who marketed the dental floss and made it available. But during the second world war the production of silk was foreshortening and Dr Charles C. Bass invented nylon dental floss. Nylon was not only more readily available, but it was also more durable. Within a century, the idea of cleaning between the teeth with floss was common dental knowledge.
Why do we need to floss?
Although we brush daily and we think that our basic regime to maintain an oral hygiene is completed, but in actual brushing only removes the plaque from the chewing surface of your teeth whereas the areas between the teeth or interdental spaces are still remains the habitat of the residual bacteria.
Flossing helps in removing plaque from the hard to reach area by toothbrush. According to the American Dental Association, we should floss daily to maintain a good oral hygiene. Combination of daily flossing and brushing prevents the dental caries and periodontal diseases. Adapting the habit of flossing is one of the easiest, inexpensive and safest methods of minimizing the risk of long-term dental diseases.
In recent studies by Dr Roger Sandre, flossing is always important especially when you are undergoing active cancer treatment because the patients with low immunity are prone towards the risk of getting infections and dental infections can cause life threatening conditions if the infection is not cleared from the blood stream. So, to keep your dear ones who are fighting with cancer let them know that the growth of bacteria should not get out of control.
But we can say that regardless of your health status one should always have the habit of flossing.
How to floss
1.Take a 18 inches long floss thread and wind it along your middle finger of each hand and use the thumb to direct the floss in upper teeth.
2.Now pinch the floss between the two thumbs and forefingers of opposite hands such that in the end 1-2 inches long floss will be there in between your hands.
3.By using zig-zag motion gently guide the floss between your teeth and under your gum line until you feel the resistance.
4.Bend the floss around each tooth in a “C” shape and each tooth should be floss thoroughly with a new section of floss.
5.Remember to floss behind your back teeth.
Most of the patients attribute their lack of dental flossing due to the lack of motivation and difficulties in using the floss as they do not know the correct technique of flossing.
In the end, we can say that there is only one goal that’s to keep working and keep flossing.
Morning after pill or emergency contraception pills are over the counter drugs available to prevent pregnancy within 72 hours of unprotected sex or intercourse. There are many popular brands available like i-pill and unwanted 72. They are very high dose of the hormone progestin/levonorgestrel which are known to prevent fertilization/conception by way of delaying to stopping ovulation.
Effectiveness of emergency contraception
If taken within 72 hours, emergency contraception pills are known to prevent pregnancy in 99% of the cases. The user need not to worry about pregnancy if she has consumed the medicine within the stipulated 72 hours.
Side effects of emergency contraception
As all the emergency contraceptive pills are very high dose of the hormones, they are known to cause certain side effects which are common to the early symptoms of pregnancy. This often leads the user confused and baffled that she might be pregnant. However, in most of the cases, it’s not the pregnancy, but the emergency contraception pill, which is producing the symptoms. The symptoms include the following:
- Abdominal pain
- Breast tenderness
- Delay in menstruation
- Occasional bleeding or spotting
- Weight gain
These side effects may continue for a month or two. The menstrual cycle may remain disturbed for next few months. In long run, being an steroid, these medicines cause substantial weight gain in the users.
Emergency contraceptives and STDs
Emergency contraceptive pills do not provide any protection from sexually transmitted disease like HIV, gonorrhoea or syphlis. Additional safety measures like condoms should be preferred for protection from such sexually transmitted diseases which could prove life threatening in long run.
Emergency contraception pills are not for regular use. Such high dose of hormone, if taken regularly might cause very serious side effects. So, they should never be used as regular method of contraception and should be avoided as far as possible.
Premature Ejaculation: Causes and Treatments
Premature ejaculation (PE) or early ejaculation or rapid ejaculation is the male orgasm and ejaculation even before penetration or shortly after penetration against the wishes of the participants. This is totally involuntary and leaves the partners dis-satisfied with the sexual union. Different health agencies have different opinion regarding the minimal time of intercourse which could be categorized under premature ejaculation. However, most of them has the opinion that any time less than one minutes during intercourse may be termed as pre-mature ejaculation. The average time of intercourse is considered to be 4 to 8 minutes. Hong, the famous evolutionary scientist argued that premature ejaculation is an evolutionary adaptation in favor of survival of human race. According to him, those who can ejaculate rapidly are capable of fertilizing the female even in short span of intercourse and are thus more capable of procreating. However, in modern context, where intercourse is more a means of recreation than procreation, this has emerged like a disease which leaves the interpersonal relation among the couples strained and tense.
Causes of Premature Ejaculation (PE)
Premature ejaculation is quiet common problem having diverse social and biological reasons. Many agencies suggest that the habit of masturbating quickly during adolescence under the fear of being caught develops the habit of premature ejaculation. Oversensitivity of penis during initial days of sexual intercourse might be another reason. Some biological causes have been attributed to premature ejaculation like serotonin receptors.
Treatment of Premature ejaculation (PE)
- Stop and Start technique
In this technique, the person is suggested to stop the stimulation altogether just before he reaches the point of no return for ejaculation. After giving a pause of few minutes till the urge to ejaculate diminishes, the person may re-start the sexual activity. This may be repeated several times so as to increase the total time of intercourse.
- Squeeze technique
In this technique, the female partner is suggested to squeeze the penis of the male partner whenever he feels the urge to ejaculate. She should keep him squeezed till the urge pass away, and restart the sexual activity thereafter. This prolongs the overall time of intercourse.
- Kegel exercises
Pub coccygeal muscle at the pelvic floor is the common muscle which controls the passing of urine as well as ejaculation. Contracting and relaxing the same muscle which one does while passing the urine will tone this and help to develop the control over ejaculation. Stopping the urine flow mid-stream and thereafter passing it drop wise is another way to tone up this muscle and develop more ejaculatory control.
Erectile dysfunction(ED): Causes and Treatments
Erectile dysfunction (ED), also known as Impotence is the inability of to get or maintain erection during sexual intercourse in human beings. Erection of penis is a natural process during sexual arousal. It is controlled by brain under the influence of various sensory perceptions like touch, visual and smell. This is a hydraulic process commanded by the brain, in which the blood flow to the penis is increased, thus causing the erection. Proper erection ensures successful intercourse.
Causes of erectile dysfunction
Failure to get or maintain erection makes intercourse difficult. This problem might have psychological or physiological causes.
Psychological causes of erectile dysfunction
Psychological reasons of erectile dysfunction include mental stress, lack of adjustment among couples, job pressure, anxiety, lack of privacy, fear of pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and performance anxiety. This can be easily treated by psychological counselling and placebo medicines.
Physiological causes of erectile dysfunction
Physiological or physical causes of erectile dysfunction are those morphological or chemical changes within the body which make proper erection difficult. The main physiological causes of erectile dysfunction are mentioned as under:
- Diseases like diabetes and multiple sclerosis
- Medicines like anti-depressant and diuretics
- Hormonal imbalances (Testosterone deficiency)
- Nerve disorders
- Prostate surgery
Diagnosis of erectile dysfunction
The cause of erectile dysfunction is diagnosed through the use of various techniques like Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA), Corpus cavernosometry, Dynamic infusion cavernosometry (DICC), Penile biothesiometry, Nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT), Penile nerves function, Duplex ultrasound.
Treatment of erectile dysfunction
Once, the reason behind the erectile dysfunction is identified, treatment procedure could be planned. This mainly includes the following
- Hormone replacement therapy (Testosterone injections)
- Medicines like sildenafil (Viagra)
- Use of penis pumps
- Alternative medicines like herbs and libido booster food/aphrodisiacs
- Prosthetic penile implants to maintain erection
- Psychological counselling
- Proper diet
- Regular exercise
A breath of poison is crippling our senses. Burning eyes, choking throat and buzzling silencers of the never-ending traffic; Cars are more precious than life and the enigma of economic progress is ultimately threatening the survival of the most developed creature of the globe. Alas! We all are sleeping over this evident daemon of air-pollution, giving it a deaf year and shrilling our responsibilities. Come on! Wake up to stop this haze before it stops you.
How to deal with high pollution level?
Use masks N95/N99
A surgical N 95 mask is approved by FDA to be used against air-pollution. This is known to protect against major pollutants and suspended particulate matter. Use the mask whenever you go out, and preferably indoor too. Even putting a handkerchief on nose is known to cut around 25% of air pollutants.
- Open doors and windows only when bright sunlight
Bright sunlight means that most of the harmful dust and pollutants have already settled down. You should open your doors and windows during that time only to ensure proper air exchange. Opening the windows during haze means flooding your indoor with pollutants and dust. So, better, avoid it.
- Avoid morning walks and exercises
Air pollutants and particles are at their highest concentration during morning and evening hours due to the phenomenon of thermal inversion and smog formation. Doing morning and evening walk and strenuous exercises means promoting the influx of pollutants in your system, thus deteriorating the health further. You should avoid them till the phase of haze passes away.
- Avoid being outdoor for longer durations
Being outdoor, means more exposure to the pollutants and their intake. Move out only for urgent and necessary reasons. Recreational outings should be postponed for the time being.
- Use air purifiers
HEPA based air purifiers are known to absorb pollutants and give good air quality. They should be used whenever you are indoor.
Use of Inhalers and nebulisers
Inhalers, steam and nebulization expand the air passage thus relieving the suffocation common during high air pollution. Use them if you are feeling suffocated.
7. Citrus fruits and Jaggery
Increase the quantity of citrus fruits, juice and jaggery in your diet. They improve your immunity and help to keep the respiratory passage clean and clear, thus helping to fight pollution.