GIVE YOUR BODY A SUGAR BREAK
We all have a craze for chocolates, candies, fresh juices, & ice-creams. What do you think is the major ingredient of all these stuff? Yes, it is the sugar. Though we all love the taste of it, we hardly think of the effects that sugar has on health. Added sugar is the single worst ingredient in the modern diet. This article will help you understand the harmful effects sugar has on metabolism and the other sort of diseases it contributes to. Here are some disturbing reasons why you should avoid added sugar in your diet:
- Added sugar contains no essential nutrients:
It contains a whole much of calories but no essential nutrients. This is the reason it is called as “empty calories”. It gives nothing healthy or it can be considered as a toxic poison that causes a number of physical and emotional ailments. Sugar does not contain any proteins, fats, vitamins or minerals. It is just a source of energy. People consuming about 10-20% of sugar will suffer from nutrient deficiency. It can also cause tooth decay by feeding the harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- Added sugar can overload your liver:
Before the sugar enters the bloodstream from the digestive tract, it is broken down into two forms: glucose & fructose. Glucose is present in every living cell. If the body didn’t get sufficient amounts from the diet then the body will produce glucose on its own. But, it is a different case with fructose. There is no physiological need for it and our body doesn’t produce it in significant amounts. The drawback with fructose is that is can only be metabolized in the liver. Eating a lot of fructose will cause it to turn into fat. This can lead to fatty liver disease.
- Sugar can cause insulin resistance- stepping stone towards diabetes:
Insulin is a very important hormone which allows the glucose to enter the bloodstream. The cells then burn the glucose instead of fat. Having too much of glucose in the blood is harmful as it can result in complications of diabetes such as blindness.
- Sugar- the cancer agent:
Cancer is the main reason for death worldwide and is characterized by multiplication of cancerous cells. Insulin plays an important role in regulating this sort of growth. Studies show that people who eat a lot of sugar are at higher risk of getting cancer.
- Sugar- the unique fat promoting agent:
Different foods will have different effects on the brain. Not all the calories are created in equal amounts. More amount of fructose in the diet can lessen brain activity. It can also lower the hunger hormone ghrelin.
- Sugar is highly addictive:
Like many abusive drugs, sugar can also turn out to be addictive. This is because it releases massive dopamine in the brain which causes addiction among a lot of people.
- Sugar- leading contributor to obesity:
Sugar is a leading contributor to obesity both among children and adults. It decreases satiety because of which people lose control over consumption. People who consume a lot of sugar are more likely to become overweight or obese. This is applicable to all age groups.
- Sugar- the heart disease triggering agent:
It is not the fat it is the sugar that causes cholesterol and heart diseases among the people. However, people blamed the saturated fat for various heart diseases but the new studies show that the saturated fat is actually harmless. A large amount of fructose in the body will raise blood glucose and insulin levels which result in obesity. These are all the major factors contributing to heart diseases.
Here are few more valid reasons for one to do away with sugar cubes.
- Sugar can impair eyesight
- Sugar can destroy DNA structure
- Sugar can cause hypoglycemia
- Sugar can cause gallstones
- Sugar can increase cholesterol and systolic blood pressure
- Sugar can cause drowsiness & decreased activity in children
- Sugar can change the structure of protein
- Sugar can cause cataract
- Sugar can cause atherosclerosis
- Sugar lowers enzyme ability to function
- Sugar can damage pancreas
- Sugar can increase the risk of gastric cancer
- Sugar can cause depression
- Sugar can lead to formation of kidney stones
- Sugar can lead to prostate cancer
- Sugar can induce cell death
Consumption of sugar greater than recommended amounts can result in a number of dangerous diseases. It can increase the risk of cancer, overweight, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and liver diseases. It is something much greater than causing cavities and thus needs a closer look at it. If you would like to know more about the harmful effects of sugar on the human body in detail, you can contact our doctors on www.freedoctorhelpline.com or call us at +918010555444.
In this article, we will have a deeper look at diabetes caused by sugar and its impact on living body.
Diabetes is also referred to as diabetes mellitus which is a group of metabolic disease in which the patient has high blood sugar because either the insulin production is inadequate or the body cells do not respond properly to insulin or both. People with high blood sugar will experience frequent urination, become increasingly thirsty and hungry.
There are basically 3 types of diabetes. They are:
- Type-1 diabetes:
It is also referred to as insulin-dependent diabetes, juvenile diabetes or early-onset diabetes. People develop this type of diabetes usually around their 40’s, early adulthood or teenage. Type-1 diabetic patients do not produce insulin. It is a very rare case. Only 10% of all the diabetic cases are type-1.
- Type-2 diabetes:
Type-2 diabetes is a more common case. About 90% of the diabetic cases are of this type. In this type, the body does not produce enough insulin for the proper functioning or the body cells do not respond properly to the insulin. People can control the symptoms by losing weight, following a healthy diet, and monitoring blood glucose levels. Type-2 diabetes gradually gets worse and the patient will have to probably take insulin tablets at the end. People suffering from obesity and those overweight are at higher risk of suffering from type-2 diabetes. Being overweight or obese can cause changes in the body to release chemicals that can destabilize the body’s metabolism and cardiovascular systems.
- Gestational diabetes:
This type affects the females during pregnancy. Some women have high levels of glucose in blood and the body is unable to produce sufficient insulin to transport the glucose to different parts of the body. This type of diabetes can be controlled with diet and exercise.
Treatment for diabetes:
All types of diabetes are treatable. Type-1 diabetes lasts a lifetime is there is no known cure for it. However, type-2 diabetes can be controlled with diet and exercise. Patients with type-1 diabetes are regularly given insulin injections as well as special diet and exercise. Whereas people with type-2 diabetes are treated with tablets, special diet, and exercise.
The below is the list of complications which result due to badly controlled diabetes:
- Eye complications such as cataract, glaucoma, and others
- Diabetic patients are more prone to skin infections and skin disorders
- They are more susceptible to cardiovascular problems
- It increases the risk of suffering from depression, anxiety
- They have higher risk of developing hearing problems
- There is a much higher prevalence of gum disease among diabetic patients
- If blood pressure and cholesterol levels are not controlled it can increase the risk of stroke
- It also results in erectile dysfunction problems.
Keeping the famous quote in mind “PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE” we provide you the 10 simple ways that help prevent type-2 diabetes:
- Check your risk of diabetes once in every 6 months
- Make efforts to manage your weight
- Exercise regularly to reduce blood glucose levels.
- Eat a balanced healthy diet
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- Quit smoking
- Control your blood pressure
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Have regular health check-ups
- Avoid taking junk foods as it has high salt content
To get more health tips and preventive measure about diabetes contact our doctors on Free Doctor Helpline or call us at +918010555444.
Medicines to control diabetes:
- Short-acting insulin: Humolin & Novolin
- Rapid-acting insulin: Novolog,flex pen,Apidra,Humalog
- Intermediate-acting insulin: humolin N, Novolin N
- Long-acting insulin: tresiba, Levemir, Lantus,toujeo
Home remedies for diabetes:
# HOLI BASIL LEAVES: consume 2 to 3 tulsi leaves or a tablespoon full of its juice on empty stomach to lower blood sugar.
#FLAX SEEDS: consume one tablespoon of ground flaxseed powder in the warm water early in the morning in empty stomach. Do not drink more than 2 tablespoons per day.
#CINNAMON: include about 1 gram of cinnamon in your daily diet for a month. This can help reduce blood sugar.
#GREENTEA: drink a cup of green tea early in the morning or even before your meals.
#DRUMSTICK LEAVES: take a few drumstick leaves, wash and crush them to extract juice. Drink this juice on empty stomach every morning.
#BITTER GOURD: consume bitter gourd at least once a week in some form or the other. Try drinking bitter gourd juice on empty stomach every morning.
Below is the list of the best diabetologist in India:
- Deepak Khandelwal
- A G Unnikrishnan
- Kaushik pandit
- Anirban Biswas
- Amitabh Khanna
- Paritosh Roy
- Surendra Kumar
- Narendra. K Gupta
- V Mohan
To get appointments with a specialist or to know more about them you can contact us on www.freedoctorhelpline.com or call us at +918010555444.