Does it take a lot of time for you to fall asleep? If yes, there may be a problem with which you are not aware of. Generally, it takes around 10-20 minutes for someone to fall asleep. In Medical terms, the time someone takes to fall asleep is referred to as Sleep Latency. There are two cases that may have a problem with your sleep:
- If You take very little to fall sleep, its sleep deprivation.
- If you take a while to sleep or above then average sleep latency, its called sleep Onset Insomnia.
Here we are going to talk in depth of Insomnia, what types of insomnia exits, what are the symptoms and cure available for Sleep Problems so that you can fall sleep because having a good sleep can significantly lead to healthier life.
What is Insomnia?
If a person is having difficulty in sleeping, he/she may be having insomnia. People with insomnia are generally dissatisfied with their sleep.
Symptoms of Insomnia:
Several symptoms indicate Insomnia like:
- They experience fatigue and are always low on energy.
- They have difficulty in concentrating on their tasks like while reading, learning and poor performance in academics and sports may also be due to insomnia.
- Getting angry or irritated even at very small things may also be a symptom of insomnia.
- People may also experience a headache and be falling into depression.
- Waking up too early even after sleeping late at night or waking up at midnights.
Types of Insomnia:
- Acute Insomnia: acute insomnia is when you are having sleeping issues for the very short amount time may be due to stressful conditions like – sleeplessness before the day of exam or result of something
- Chronic Insomnia: chronic insomnia is when you are not able to sleep for at least 4-5 days/week and it’s occurring for a quite long time.
What are the Causes of Insomnia?
Stress: stress could be main reason leading to Insomnia. Stressful life events like eg. the death of the loved ones, divorce, job loss may lead to insomnia.
Sleeping / Bad Habits: Irregular bedtime schedule, studying, eating, gaming, watching tv on the bed can lead to insomnia.
Drugs(medications): There are certain medicines which interfere with the sleep cycle of the body like eg. amphetamine commonly used by students for late night studies to prevent sleep. Anti-depressants, weight loss products can also cause sleeplessness.
Physically and socially active: Due to less physical and social activity body does not get tired enough to rest.
Treatment for Insomnia:
There are many ways insomnia can be treated but most of the part depends on the willpower of the person. Here we are going to bring few working methods to get asleep faster. You may not find the immediate effect on your disturb sleeping problems but with trying these treatments, you will gain normal Sleep latency in few days / week.
- Medications: There are 3 types of medication that can be provided to treat insomnia
- Sedatives: These types of medicines reduce the activity of brain thus inducing sleep. They affect neurotransmitters GABA (the component of through which brain cells interact) of the brain.
- Antihistamines: These are the drugs which are generally used to counter allergic reaction inside the body as insomnia can be caused due to allergic reactions
- Therapies: A few therapies can also be used to treat insomnia like
- Light therapy: It generally consists of exposure to natural light of certain wavelength using laser etc…
- Cognitive therapy: This program includes exercises which replace thoughts that worse sleep experience without using drugs
Precautions you can take to Avoid Sleep Problems
We all know precaution is better than cure, thus there are preventive measures that can be used to prevent Insomnia:
- Being physically active is a very good preventive measure it keeps away not only Insomnia but many diseases.
- Stop taking daytime naps as they interfere with night sleep intake of beverages before sleeping time should be avoided especially caffeine, alcohol etc…
- Take a warm bath, reading before sleeping.
- Being consistent in bedtime and wake up time can be very helpful.
Just remember Healthy living can treat/prevent not only Insomnia but most diseases. If you got any concerns and queries over the same, comment it down. We will love to help you out.
[su_posts posts_per_page=”5″ order=”desc”]
Quality sleep is the most vital aspect of our health. It is very obvious that a proper sleep is very important. It plays an important role in building your physical health, and as well as your emotional well being. An average adult person should have a 7hrs of sleep daily. Many studies show that people who take the proper amount of sleep every day tends to live longer and healthier lives. Sleep has a number of benefits such as it helps in keeping your heart healthy, it reduces stress, improves memory, and reduces moodiness.
We’ve talked about the benefits of taking proper sleep. Now let’s talk about what happens when you have irregular sleeping patterns. Irregular sleep or lack of sleep is also known as Sleep deprivation. It means not getting the required or right amount of sleep. Lack of sleep has a number of negative effects on your health for example memory issues, mood changes.
What effect does lack of sleep have on your brains?
Sleep deprivation has a deleterious effect on your brains. It literally slows down your brain activity.
- When you do not take proper sleep your mind does not function effectively. When tired due to lack of sleep, it makes difficult for your mind to learn something new; you can’t pay attention to things properly. This also affects your decision-making powers, ability to solve problems and it depreciates your creativity.
- Not getting enough sleep will also affect your moodiness, which can make you feel irritated by everything. It also makes you weak emotionally. Sleep deprivation makes you feel tired and irritable all the time.
- Lack of sleep can make you prone to stress easily because you need sleep to relax your minds and it gets difficult to quiet your mind, which makes you think negatively. If you don’t get enough sleep it will boost your stress hormones, making to more stressed.
- Lack of sleep makes you feel more exhausted then you were which makes it difficult for you to focus on your works.
- The person suffering from lack of sleep can also develop chronic fatigue syndrome, which causes a feeling of depression, tiredness, poor concentration, irritability.
We’ve seen a lot of effects of sleep deprivation on our brains such has moodiness, stress, emotionally weakness, and tiredness. Lack of sleep eventually makes you feel sick obsessed which will cause a major problem in your daily lives because you won’t be able to concentrate on your day to day work. So it is good to take a proper amount of sleep to get rid of all these problems. It is seen that an average person should take at least 7 hours of sleep a night. Proper sleeping patterns will help you to make your mind and body healthier. A good amount of sleep will also help you to look better, which is an important aspect of your life. So, eat healthy sleep healthy for a better life.[su_posts posts_per_page=”5″ order=”desc”]