Tips to Prevent Dandruff
What is Dandruff? and What Doctors Say about it?
Before knowing about how to prevent dandruff, one must know what dandruff is and how and why it is caused? So, the first step as always is to get the basics right and then prevention would be a cakewalk!
As per skin doctors’ dandruff is often the by-product of the reaction of the scalp to excessive oil. That is when the scalp has excessive oil it reacts to it as dandruff! It is also known as the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. The more cells die, the more the amount of flaking will be. It is the white or grey flakes that can be seen on the scalp which often cause itching. It is not contagious or harmful, but it can be unpleasant and can give a blow to the confidence while being difficult to get rid of. Also, there is no cure for dandruff. It is however, a common scalp disorder affecting almost half of all the total population. The severity of dandruff though fluctuates, as per the season, for example, it often worsens in winters. It is often rare before puberty, peaks in teens and declines with the age. Mostly it can be treated with the specialized shampoos, oils, lotions, or serums, even though it doesn’t have a cure. Moreover, dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that can affect your scalp, your ears, your eyebrows, the sides of your nose and your beard.
What Causes Dandruff?
The common causes of dandruff are:
- Irritated or oily skin
- Lack of shampooing enough,
- Some infection
- Fungus affecting the scalp.
- Dry skin problem can also be a cause of dandruff and
- Also, some allergic reaction to certain hair products too can be the culprit.
5 Tips which will help to prevent dandruff
So, to help you curb dandruff, here are 5 tips which will help to prevent nagging dandruff:
- Shampoo regularly: If one has an oily scalp, then shampoo often to prevent it. But don’t over shampoo too!
- Sunbath: Sunlight is good to prevent dandruff but do not sunbath as the UV rays may be harmful. Medical experts believe that spending a little time in the sunshine may also be beneficial in treating dandruff.
- Manage your stress first: Medical experts believe that stress may trigger or worsen the condition. So keep the little stress monster in control.
- Diet right: Food and diet are really important factors; get a diet rich in zinc, Omega-3 fatty acids, and B vitamins to prevent dandruff.
- Brush it: Dandruff may be a symptom of not brushing the hair regularly. Regularly brushing or combing hair helps scalp shed skin and also prevent dandruff and an oily scalp.