A migraine is a severe, painful headache that can be preceded or accompanied by sensory warning signs such as flashes of light, blind spots, tingling in the arms and legs, nausea, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to light and sound.
The excruciating pain that migraine brings can last for hours or even days. Migraine is a common problem affecting 36 million Americans, about 12% of the population.
What are Migraine Headaches?
The exact cause of migraine headaches is unknown; it is thought to be due to abnormal brain activity causing a temporary alteration in the nerve signals, chemicals and blood flow in the brain.
Migraine headaches can be very debilitating affecting 1 in 4 households in India. They are more common in women than men, and 3% of people have chronic migraines where they experience symptoms for half the month for six months.
What triggers Migraine Headaches?
Some people who suffer from migraines can clearly identify triggers or factors that cause the headaches, but many cannot. Potential migraine triggers include:
- Allergies and allergic reactions
- Bright lights, loud noises, flickering lights, smoky rooms, temperature changes, strong smells and certain odours or perfumes
- Physical or emotional stress, tension, anxiety, depression, excitement
- Physical triggers such as tiredness, jet lag, exercise
- Changes in sleep patterns or irregular sleep
- Smoking or exposure to smoke
- Skipping meals or fasting causing low blood sugar
- Hormonal triggers such as menstrual cycle fluctuations, birth control pills, menopause
- Tension headaches
- Foods containing tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and some beans), monosodium glutamate (MSG), or nitrates (like bacon, hot dogs and salami)
- Other foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products and fermented or pickled foods
- Medication such as sleeping tablets, the contraceptive pill, hormone replacement therapy.
Migraine headaches can be severe, debilitating, and uncomfortable. Many treatment options are available, so be patient finding the one or combination that’s best for you. Keep Track of your headaches and symptoms in order to identify migraine triggers. Knowing how to prevent migraines can often be the first step to managing them.
Morning after pill or emergency contraception pills are over the counter drugs available to prevent pregnancy within 72 hours of unprotected sex or intercourse. There are many popular brands available like i-pill and unwanted 72. They are very high dose of the hormone progestin/levonorgestrel which are known to prevent fertilization/conception by way of delaying to Read More
What is Addiction? Addiction is a compulsive seeking, and then obtaining, of a substance while behavior increasingly becomes out of control. A condition that results when a person ingests a substance (alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (gambling) that can be pleasurable. The continued use of, which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary Read More
Most of the learned population feel completely safe in their sexual relations when they use condoms. Most of the data available on internet and elsewhere claim that condoms are an effective protection against HIV/AIDS. However, the under-informed masses are unaware of the fact that condoms do not provide protection agains a number of Sexually Transmitted Read More
In Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, Pulsating abdominal mass Aortic calcification is noted on x-ray. Mild to severe mid abdominal or lumbar back pain Cool, cyanotic extremities if iliac arteries are involved Claudication (ischemic pain with exercise, relieved by rest) Complication: peripheral emboli to lower extremities Rupture and hemorrhage. An Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) is a permanent Read More
“I am struggling through a very deep depression due to the fact that I can’t have baby. No one in my social circle understands it, neither do my family. I feel so alone and unhappy”, pleads one of my sister’s friend. Female infertility is defined as a disease or condition of the reproductive system resulting Read More