BAD EFFECTS OF HIGH CHOLESTEROL: High blood cholesterol is a condition when the cholesterol exceeds the normal limit. Yes, the body needs it but as all the other things, in limits! It is a type of fat in the blood that the body needs to function normally. Cholesterol is used as a building block for many structures as well as other chemicals and hormones that are essential for the body’s activities. The body creates it and one also gets it from certain foods they eat.
]The body uses cholesterol to produce many hormones, vitamin D, and the bile acids that help to digest fat. But, only a small amount of cholesterol, and when there’s too much cholesterol in the bloodstream, it may be deposited along the walls of arteries, including the coronary arteries of the heart, the carotid arteries to the brain, and the arteries that supply blood to the legs and the intestines. Which in turn causes narrowing and blockage of the arteries, producing signs and symptoms originating from the particular part of the body that has decreased blood supply.
Side Effects of High Cholesterol
The mere definition establishes the fact that it is not good for the health and the following are the effects of the high cholesterol:
- High cholesterol can create a bile imbalance, leading to gallstones. According to the National Digestive Disease Information Clearinghouse, more than 80% of gallstones are cholesterol stones.
- Very high cholesterol can lead to fatty deposits within your ligaments and skin, as well your liver and spleen. The enlargement of your liver or spleen due to fatty deposits places pressure on other organs within the abdominal cavity, leading to an unexplained stomach or abdominal pain.
- When plaque builds up in the arteries that carry blood to the brain, the brain is deprived of oxygen. Brain cells quickly become damaged and start to die (stroke).
- As coronary arteries narrow due to the cholesterol deposit, it’s harder for blood to make it to the heart. And if an area of plaque breaks open, it can result in a blood clot, which can block blood flow altogether. This puts one at a great risk of having a heart attack.
- One of the main side effects of high cholesterol is a progressive narrowing of the arteries and hardening of the artery walls, a condition called atherosclerosis. This condition causes the arteries to narrow and harden, increasing the risk of an arterial blockage or blood vessel rupture.
- Plaque can also build up and interfere with blood flow to the arms and legs (peripheral arterial disease). If the blood supply to the limbs is blocked, there may be numbness or pain. There’s an increased risk of infection in those limbs. Lack of blood can cause tissue death (gangrene) too.
- Another potential long-term side effect of high blood cholesterol is an increased strain on your heart muscle due to the development of the cholesterol-linked vascular disease. When the arteries narrow the heart pumps harder to push blood through the blood vessels, often leading to an elevation in the heart rate. This puts a strain on your heart over time. Without the apt treatment, this heart strain may increase the risk of potentially fatal heart failure.
- Angina or chest pain is another effect of the choking arteries and a warning of the red flag to cholesterol.
Cancer begins when the healthy body cells change and grow out of control, from a tumour. This tumour can be both benign and malignant. 80% of primary liver cancer is hepatocellular carcinoma. the other types of cancer include bile duct cancer, and angiosarcoma, defined as the cancer of the blood cells in the liver. Hepatocellular Read More
Sugar, we may love it, but it doesn’t love us back. It’s bad for our health – and our waistlines. One of the most obvious reasons why sugary foods and drinks are bad and can undermine your health is that they tend to be high in calories but not all that filling. That makes it Read More
Its time for the summer vacations when your kids and family wait to travel around the city or outside the town. Most of you must have already planned up their outdoor vacations to enjoy the summers and make best possible use of their holiday time. The vacation can be a beach or can be some Read More
Heart transplant in India: A heart transplant is a surgical procedure that is employed for patients who have end-stage heart failure or severe coronary artery disease. In this procedure, the diseased heart is usually replaced with a healthy heart from decreases donor that is a person who has recently died. This is the last option Read More