A migraine is a severe, painful headache that can be preceded or accompanied by sensory warning signs such as flashes of light, blind spots, tingling in the arms and legs, nausea, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to light and sound.
The excruciating pain that migraine brings can last for hours or even days. Migraine is a common problem affecting 36 million Americans, about 12% of the population.
What are Migraine Headaches?
The exact cause of migraine headaches is unknown; it is thought to be due to abnormal brain activity causing a temporary alteration in the nerve signals, chemicals and blood flow in the brain.
Migraine headaches can be very debilitating affecting 1 in 4 households in India. They are more common in women than men, and 3% of people have chronic migraines where they experience symptoms for half the month for six months.
What triggers Migraine Headaches?
Some people who suffer from migraines can clearly identify triggers or factors that cause the headaches, but many cannot. Potential migraine triggers include:
- Allergies and allergic reactions
- Bright lights, loud noises, flickering lights, smoky rooms, temperature changes, strong smells and certain odours or perfumes
- Physical or emotional stress, tension, anxiety, depression, excitement
- Physical triggers such as tiredness, jet lag, exercise
- Changes in sleep patterns or irregular sleep
- Smoking or exposure to smoke
- Skipping meals or fasting causing low blood sugar
- Hormonal triggers such as menstrual cycle fluctuations, birth control pills, menopause
- Tension headaches
- Foods containing tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and some beans), monosodium glutamate (MSG), or nitrates (like bacon, hot dogs and salami)
- Other foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products and fermented or pickled foods
- Medication such as sleeping tablets, the contraceptive pill, hormone replacement therapy.
Migraine headaches can be severe, debilitating, and uncomfortable. Many treatment options are available, so be patient finding the one or combination that’s best for you. Keep Track of your headaches and symptoms in order to identify migraine triggers. Knowing how to prevent migraines can often be the first step to managing them.
To answer this question, first let us get to know what pneumonia really is. Pneumonia is the irritation ( a kind of swelling or inflammation) of the lung tissue generally, however, not only brought on by infection from bacteria, viruses or fungus. It makes the air sacs in the lungs load with pus. When it Read More
Heart attack or myocardial infarction usually occurs when the smooth flow of blood to the heart is blocked, by a build-up of fat. When the flow of blood is blocked the tissues lose oxygen and dies.Heart attack also happens to women and can be identified through certain symptoms. Symptoms of Heart Attack: 1.Fatigue: Unusual fatigue Read More
IVF (In vitro fertilisation) a technique used to fascilitate fertilisation of ova and sperm artificially in laboratory condition to treat infertility. It helps to those parent who are incapable to produce their young once by natural method of reproduction due to infertility problem of either for both parent or for one of the parent. This Read More
Causes of Stress Stress Effects on a human body What Experts Say About Stress How to Overcome From Stress Easy and simple way to overcome from Stress / Depression
Natural remedies and therapy for kidney stones or kidney stones are created of concrete or aggregations of crystals of dissolved minerals in the kidneys in urine formed. Kidney stones are a typical trigger of blood in the urine and often severe discomfort in the abdomen, flanks, or groin. Renal colic with nausea and vomiting related to Read More