A migraine is a severe, painful headache that can be preceded or accompanied by sensory warning signs such as flashes of light, blind spots, tingling in the arms and legs, nausea, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to light and sound.
The excruciating pain that migraine brings can last for hours or even days. Migraine is a common problem affecting 36 million Americans, about 12% of the population.
What are Migraine Headaches?
The exact cause of migraine headaches is unknown; it is thought to be due to abnormal brain activity causing a temporary alteration in the nerve signals, chemicals and blood flow in the brain.
Migraine headaches can be very debilitating affecting 1 in 4 households in India. They are more common in women than men, and 3% of people have chronic migraines where they experience symptoms for half the month for six months.
What triggers Migraine Headaches?
Some people who suffer from migraines can clearly identify triggers or factors that cause the headaches, but many cannot. Potential migraine triggers include:
- Allergies and allergic reactions
- Bright lights, loud noises, flickering lights, smoky rooms, temperature changes, strong smells and certain odours or perfumes
- Physical or emotional stress, tension, anxiety, depression, excitement
- Physical triggers such as tiredness, jet lag, exercise
- Changes in sleep patterns or irregular sleep
- Smoking or exposure to smoke
- Skipping meals or fasting causing low blood sugar
- Hormonal triggers such as menstrual cycle fluctuations, birth control pills, menopause
- Tension headaches
- Foods containing tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and some beans), monosodium glutamate (MSG), or nitrates (like bacon, hot dogs and salami)
- Other foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products and fermented or pickled foods
- Medication such as sleeping tablets, the contraceptive pill, hormone replacement therapy.
Migraine headaches can be severe, debilitating, and uncomfortable. Many treatment options are available, so be patient finding the one or combination that’s best for you. Keep Track of your headaches and symptoms in order to identify migraine triggers. Knowing how to prevent migraines can often be the first step to managing them.
A healthy lifestyle and healthy life is nothing but the outcome of religious follow up of the health and food habits. If you are aiming for a healthy life and healthy living, don’t worry it is not a far-fetched unattainable dream. It is actually very easy and to show you how and to testify the Read More
A major population of current youth is suffering from the problem of hair loss and baldness. Frequent runs to several clinics seldom provide the relief. Quiet ignorant about its cause, the sufferer looses hair as well as the money. Most common type of hair loss is the pattern baldness or andro-genetic alopecia. Andro- connotes to Read More
Root canal treatment is a procedure to clean and restore an infected tooth which is damaged by deep cavities or some external factors like trauma, fracture or wear and tear over longer duration. Root canal treatment becomes necessary when the core or the pulp tissue inside the tooth gets infected or inflamed. This is the Read More
The epidemic arbor viral disease “DENGUE “is caused by an infection with 1 of the 4 stereotypes of virus called Flavivirus. This arthoropod borne illness is predominantly transmitted by mosquitoes of genus Aedes ( Aedes albopictus , Aedes aegypti). Historically this illness was documented in the Chinese encyclopedia of symptoms during chin dynasty (CE 265 Read More