A migraine is a severe, painful headache that can be preceded or accompanied by sensory warning signs such as flashes of light, blind spots, tingling in the arms and legs, nausea, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to light and sound.
The excruciating pain that migraine brings can last for hours or even days. Migraine is a common problem affecting 36 million Americans, about 12% of the population.
What are Migraine Headaches?
The exact cause of migraine headaches is unknown; it is thought to be due to abnormal brain activity causing a temporary alteration in the nerve signals, chemicals and blood flow in the brain.
Migraine headaches can be very debilitating affecting 1 in 4 households in India. They are more common in women than men, and 3% of people have chronic migraines where they experience symptoms for half the month for six months.
What triggers Migraine Headaches?
Some people who suffer from migraines can clearly identify triggers or factors that cause the headaches, but many cannot. Potential migraine triggers include:
- Allergies and allergic reactions
- Bright lights, loud noises, flickering lights, smoky rooms, temperature changes, strong smells and certain odours or perfumes
- Physical or emotional stress, tension, anxiety, depression, excitement
- Physical triggers such as tiredness, jet lag, exercise
- Changes in sleep patterns or irregular sleep
- Smoking or exposure to smoke
- Skipping meals or fasting causing low blood sugar
- Hormonal triggers such as menstrual cycle fluctuations, birth control pills, menopause
- Tension headaches
- Foods containing tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and some beans), monosodium glutamate (MSG), or nitrates (like bacon, hot dogs and salami)
- Other foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products and fermented or pickled foods
- Medication such as sleeping tablets, the contraceptive pill, hormone replacement therapy.
Migraine headaches can be severe, debilitating, and uncomfortable. Many treatment options are available, so be patient finding the one or combination that’s best for you. Keep Track of your headaches and symptoms in order to identify migraine triggers. Knowing how to prevent migraines can often be the first step to managing them.
The term adultery refers to a voluntary extramarital sexual intercourse between two persons who are not married to each other. It may either take place between a married man and someone else’s wife or between a married woman and someone else’s husband, with mutual consents between the two. Whatever the case be, it is considered Read More
Free Doctor Helpline Health Blog -Consult Online Doctors Chat/Call/Whatsapp/SMS 24/7 free,Read/write Reviews about Doctors/Hospitals/Clinic,ask health query
Stroke is when poor blood flow to the brain results in cell death. The reduced supply of oxygen and nutrients make the brain cells deprived and eventually die. Brain cells are the only cells of human body which cannot repair or regenerate. So, the damage once done is irreversible. Early medical intervention is very important to Read More
Sunburns are one of the biggest threats of summer. With the temperatures rising to its peak, our skin is also getting exposed allot to UV rays. One cannot leave his/her work because of hot weather and we can’t stop ourselves from stepping out in the sun. But yes one can prevent himself from getting exposed Read More
Magic Foods can give you relief from Arthritis pain Rheumatoid Arthritis As you all know, the arthritis has no cure yet. The hassle to move, it will get soft and aggravating to become a martyr effort to pick up a book on the shelf or get up from a chair, is caused by inflammation of the joints. Read More