Everything You Need to Know About Migraine
A migraine is a severe, painful headache that can be preceded or accompanied by sensory warning signs such as flashes of light, blind spots, tingling in the arms and legs, nausea, vomiting, and increased sensitivity to light and sound.
The excruciating pain that migraine brings can last for hours or even days. Migraine is a common problem affecting 36 million Americans, about 12% of the population.
What are Migraine Headaches?
The exact cause of migraine headaches is unknown; it is thought to be due to abnormal brain activity causing a temporary alteration in the nerve signals, chemicals and blood flow in the brain.
Migraine headaches can be very debilitating affecting 1 in 4 households in India. They are more common in women than men, and 3% of people have chronic migraines where they experience symptoms for half the month for six months.
What triggers Migraine Headaches?
Some people who suffer from migraines can clearly identify triggers or factors that cause the headaches, but many cannot. Potential migraine triggers include:
- Allergies and allergic reactions
- Bright lights, loud noises, flickering lights, smoky rooms, temperature changes, strong smells and certain odours or perfumes
- Physical or emotional stress, tension, anxiety, depression, excitement
- Physical triggers such as tiredness, jet lag, exercise
- Changes in sleep patterns or irregular sleep
- Smoking or exposure to smoke
- Skipping meals or fasting causing low blood sugar
- Hormonal triggers such as menstrual cycle fluctuations, birth control pills, menopause
- Tension headaches
- Foods containing tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, and some beans), monosodium glutamate (MSG), or nitrates (like bacon, hot dogs and salami)
- Other foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products and fermented or pickled foods
- Medication such as sleeping tablets, the contraceptive pill, hormone replacement therapy.
Migraine headaches can be severe, debilitating, and uncomfortable. Many treatment options are available, so be patient finding the one or combination that’s best for you. Keep Track of your headaches and symptoms in order to identify migraine triggers. Knowing how to prevent migraines can often be the first step to managing them.
Lifestyle is the way people live and is reflected in the whole range of social values, attitudes and activities. It is composed of cultural and behavioral pattern and lifelong personal habit that have developed through socialization. Lifestyle are learned through social interaction with parents, peer group, friends, siblings and through school and mass media. Recently, Read More
Did you know that there are a number of critical and life-dangering illnesses that do not claim to have any easy treatment or for that matter, any sort of treatment at all. For so many of these diseases, the stem cell therapy could provide useful answers that many are seeking today. The sad part is, Read More
“Fitness is not about being better than someone else, it’s about better than you used to be”. This quote should be taken as a key principle for all the teenagers who are enthusiast towards the bodybuilding and gymming trends. In this article, we will talk about what should be adapted and what should not be Read More
Have you ever wondered why you have been suffering from a lot of diseases especially during the monsoon? Monsoon is the time when you tend to suffer from most upsetting diseases. If you fail to take care at the right time, then it is normal that you will suffer for a longer duration. This is Read More
Fatty liver also called as Steatosis refers to the buildup of fat in the liver. It’s normal to have some fat in the liver but if it makes up to 5% to 10% of the organ’s weight then you may probably have fatty liver disease. Fatty liver is a reversible condition provided which can be Read More