Mental Depression: Symptoms and treatments
Depression, or depressive disorder, is a mental health condition which is an uncontrollable feeling of sadness isolation and also affects the person’s thoughts, feelings and mental functions. This condition abruptly impedes with the person’s routine life and induces the thoughts of suicide. Depression is in the same as sadness or loneliness or grief feeling, it’s a serious illness caused by changes in the brain chemistry.
Men & women of every age, educational level, social & economic background suffer from depression. One an episode of depression Occurs, it is also likely to recur. The impact of depression can be more severe when it is accompanied by other medical illness like diabetes, stroke, or cardiovascular diseases, or related disorders like anxiety or substance abuse.
There are several different subtypes of depression including
- Major depressive disorder
- Dysthymia & chronic depression (Persistent)
- Seasonal affective disorder
- Psychotic depression
- Bipolar depression
Depression commonly affects your thoughts, emotions, behaviours and overall mental and physical wellness. Here are some of the common symptoms that helps you to identify the disorder.
- Depressed mood
- Reduced interest or pleasure in activities previously enjoyed, loss of sexual desire.
- Un intensional weight loss or low appetite.
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Insomniac(difficulty in sleeping) or hypersomnia (over sleeping)
- Psychomotor agitation or retardation.
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt. Worsened ability to think, concentrate or make decision.
- Hallucinations ( seeing or hearing things that aren’t really there)
- Delusions (irrational thoughts, falls belief, fears)
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide, or attempt at suicide.
Depression is a treatable mental illness, the components to the management of depression or support, psychotherapy and drug treatment (anti depressants).
This treatment is also called as talk therapy, because you interact with the trained mental professional.
There are several types of psychotherapy but they have the same goal-to understand the causes of depression, help you feel better and teach you the ways to handle the conditions and gives you relaxation.
- Individual therapy involves just you and a therapist
- Group therapy involves two or more other patients
- Couples therapy helps the other one to understand your depression
- Family therapy helps your loved ones how depressed you are, how it affects you and the can support you.
Therapist uses these sort of ways to approach & help you .
Anti depressants are popular treatment choices for depression. They may not cure depression but the reduce the symptoms.
Types of Anti depressants
Some brain chemicals associated with depression are serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Most anti depressants relive these neurotransmitters.
Each works out in different ways.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)