LASIK Eye Surgery Procedure, Side Effects and Cost
LASIK, a type of laser eye surgery, stands for “Laser In-Situ Keratomileusis”. This surgery of LASIK is used to improve and repair the problems of vision. It can address the problems of people who are suffering from refractive error difficulties like farsightedness (hyperopia), short-sightedness (myopia), and/or astigmatism.
LASIK engages a surgical process to remove the tissue from the cornea, a thin outer covering of the eye, with the help of laser technology. It uses an excimer laser treatment process to do this surgery. This process reshapes the cornea of the eye to improve the vision and correct any existing refractive errors. It rectifies the vision problems of related individuals.
Today, LASIK eye surgery has successfully gained a lot of popularity in the masses due to its adverse benefits and user-friendly procedures. More and more people are now opting for this surgery to correct their vision problems. The surgery offers a lot of benefits which aids in progressing the overall quality of a healthy vision and well-being. The eye surgeon, the ophthalmologist who performs this LASIK surgery, either uses a laser light or makes use of a special surgical instrument which is known as a microkeratome.
Thanks to this latest technology and advancement that today with the help of this laser surgery, millions of people throughout the world are leading an improved life and are no more dependant on their eyeglasses or contact lenses for their vision support. Most of the patients opting for LASIK eye surgery today are successfully able to get a 20-20 vision after completion of their LASIK eye surgery. However, there are always a few exceptions in every deed. In few of the cases, patients undergoing the LASIK eye surgery may not get the desired outcomes of the surgery and may still require wearing their eyeglasses or contact lenses even after the treatment procedure is complete.
Unlike any other refractive surgery, LASIK also functions by reshuffling and restructuring of the patient’s eye cornea which is the front and the clear portion of the eye. This technique helps in permitting the desired amount of lights to enter inside into the eye such that it can completely focus on the retina properly to get a clear and vibrant vision.
Performing a LASIK surgery is not a time taking procedure. In most of the cases, the complete process of this surgery for both the eyes hardly takes around 15 minutes. The surgery is completely pain-free and painless. The patient gets back his improved and corrected vision without putting in any pain or time. Moreover, in the majority of the cases, this surgery extends a complete and permanent solution for patients to offer improved vision without the use of eyeglasses or any contact lenses.
Since decades customized eyeglasses and contact lenses had been the only key to get aid for problems of near-sightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism like eye errors. However, with the latest advancement, now there is technological and surgical method also available to get a relief from the same. The solution to this error, the LASIK eye surgery, offers the best alternative solution for such complications and problems where one wishes to live a glass free dependency free life, unlike others.
Steps in the Treatment of LASIK: The Procedure
The treatment of LASIK involves the following steps to be performed:
- Creation of a thin circular flap in the outer cornea is done by an eye surgeon to start with.
- Primarily, the surgeon makes use of surgical though mechanical tools to do this activity. These surgical tools are called as femtosecond lasers.
- The flap is lifted to get an access to the cornea layers.
- A part of the corneal tissues of microscopic size is removed with the lasers.
- This laser, called the excimer laser, makes use of an ultraviolet beam of a light for the removal. This aids in improving of the vision.
- The cornea of people suffering from myopia is usually flattened, whereas the cornea of people suffering from hyperopia the is usually made steeper.
- LASIK treatments are also performed to cure irregularly shaped corneas and give it a smooth standard shape.
- Later on, when the cornea gets back its regular shape, the flap is again placed back covering the cornea so as to cover the operated area and let it heal naturally.
- Certain amounts of anaesthetic drops are given during the treatment process.
- Later on, after the surgery is completed, there is no need to apply any bandages or stitches in the areas.
LASIK Eye Surgery: Side Effects
It is a fact that the advancement of technology and medical procedures have brought a boom to the patients who had the difficulty of vision. It is a real life changing boom for them, However, it has been reported that there do exist some minor side effects of the LASIK surgery, but they are very rare.
Post completion of the surgery, few of the patients sometimes report discomfort in their eyes. They experience a bit of sensitivity, tenderness, irritation or pain. Nevertheless, such types of discomforts and complaints do not last long and they remain hard for a day or maximum two.
Separately, apart from these above complains and complexities, few patients also report some other side effects although the percentage of such cases are very rare. Mostly all the surgeries bring some or the other level of risk attached to it, though rarely, but yes even LASIK surgery may bring that rare risk and being in some complications with it. Few of the other side effects associated with the LASIK surgery are as given below:
- Loss of vision: It has been very rarely reported. As per the studies, only 1 out of every 10,000 patients suffers from a complete loss of the vision.
- Retinal detachment
- Corneal scarring
- Dryness in the eyes: Few people do experience dryness in their operated eyes after undergoing a LASIK surgery due to reduced production of the tear. However, since it is a temporary problem, therefore the problem of this dryness can be comforted by applying few eye-drops in the eye to lubricate the eyes and keep it cold. Later, as healing will continue, the problem of this eye dryness will very soon disappear.
- Halos and vision fluctuations
- Temporary visual disturbances: This type of discomfort may occur for the first few days after completion of this surgery and the person may feel milk irritation and sensitivity. Few people also complain about glares and hazy visions during their night driving post-sunset because their pupil dilates during the night lights. However, these discomforts are also rare and will not be permanent and will automatically vanish within 3 to 6 months.
- Reduced quality of the vision
- Flap complications: During the treatment process of LASIK, a small microscopic flap is cut from the front facing of the cornea. This flap is used in the surgery to permit the corneal reshaping. For this, these flaps are lifted during the process of surgery and are later replaced with the help of medicated bandage. Rare risks exist for the cases of the slipped flap.
- Eye infection: It has been found that the possibility of eye infections are generally high in surgeries that use surface ablation process. However, in LASIK surgeries, natural bandages are being used which are created in more sterile environments to aid the right healing.
How much LASIK Eye Surgery can Cost!
According to the recent surveys, the average price for the LASIK eye surgery treatment in the US ranges from $2,000 to $2,500 for one eye. And in India, the average price for this surgery and treatment ranges from Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 1,00,000. The actual price for the complete treatment generally varies from place to place, from hospital to hospital, from doctor to doctor and from practice to practice.
As far as the fluctuating costs for the LASIK surgery are concerned, it would always be a wise decision to be alert and sceptical regarding the cost of the treatment and check for their related discounts and offers. It may be noted that in most of the offers, the cost of pre and post treatments, appointments, follow-ups, medications, services and other related aspects are excluded as per their terms.
Natural remedies and therapy for kidney stones or kidney stones are created of concrete or aggregations of crystals of dissolved minerals in the kidneys in urine formed. Kidney stones are a typical trigger of blood in the urine and often severe discomfort in the abdomen, flanks, or groin. Renal colic with nausea and vomiting related to Read More
Symptoms and treatment of kidney cancer kidney cancer is an illness of the kidneys, the organs commence curly reddish brown about the size of a small fist, over and above the waist on both sides spine. Kidney cancer is identified in cells of the kidney. They are closer to the back of the body, as Read More
Therapy compared to a cysts on the sex glands should always be ready for application of biological methods
Therapy about a sexual gland cysts should usually be ready to use organic techniques Write-up Therapy Cysts on the sex glands may be straightforward or too intense in terms of size and condition of the cysts. These sorts of the tumor are not an imminent danger to life once a lady, but huge cysts and sorts of Read More
Causes of Stress Stress Effects on a human body What Experts Say About Stress How to Overcome From Stress Easy and simple way to overcome from Stress / Depression
What is OCD?? OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) is a psychological wellness condition that revolves around crippling obsessions or impulse, troubling activities, and monotonous musings. A 2001 World Health Organization (WHO) psychological wellness report evaluated that OCD was among the main 20 reasons for sickness related incapacity worldwide for individuals matured 15 to 44 years. The Read More
Have you ever noticed your little baby getting crabby and irritable just after or during their feedings? If yes, then it is very likely that the baby has taken in some air along with the milk which is bothering him/her. To tackle these sensitive matters, this blog would provide you with certain simple burping tips, Read More
Menstruation or period is the condition in women in which blood and tissue from the uterus come out of the vagina. Menstruation cycle usually happens every month in girls and women. The menstrual cycle is controlled by hormones like estrogen and progesterone. See: Why Do you Ovulate? According to a study, more than 800 million women Read More
Climate change threatens human health which may include mental health, access to clean and fresh air, pure water for drinking purposes, nutritious food and shelter. Some people are affected more by climate change than others because of several factors which may include the place where they live, their age, health, income, and also occupation and Read More
The term adultery refers to a voluntary extramarital sexual intercourse between two persons who are not married to each other. It may either take place between a married man and someone else’s wife or between a married woman and someone else’s husband, with mutual consents between the two. Whatever the case be, it is considered Read More
LASIK, a type of laser eye surgery, stands for “Laser In-Situ Keratomileusis”. This surgery of LASIK is used to improve and repair the problems of vision. It can address the problems of people who are suffering from refractive error difficulties like farsightedness (hyperopia), short-sightedness (myopia), and/or astigmatism. LASIK engages a surgical process to remove the Read More