Is it Normal to get Headache during Sex?
A headache and Sex, not a good combination at all. You wouldn’t want to feel something painful when you are pleasured, right? But unfortunately this condition though rare, exists and the majority of the time its men who experience it.
So let’s get started with the basics.
What is a Sex Headache?
It is an uncommon headache scientifically known as Coital Cephalgia which occurs in skull or neck during any sexual activity including masturbation or orgasm. People who already suffer from migraine problem are more prone to it.
There are three types of Sex Headaches
- Orgasm or Thunder Clap Headache – This type of a sex headache occurs before or during the sexual release. It starts suddenly with a severe throbbing pain and can continue for several hours later on. It is usually more painful than the other and the patient is recommended to immediately reach his doctor regarding the same. As this headache can also be a warning sign of a brain hemorrhage.
- Sexual Benign Headache – It starts as a dull pain in the head and neck that builds up as a person becomes more sexually aroused. It is disruptive but not serious. Michael Reitano, M.D., a physician in residence at Roman says that this kind of a headache for some can be treated with painkillers like ibuprofen while other need prescribed drugs.
- The third type of a headache is extremely rare affecting only one in twenty thousand people and it starts after sex and worsens when the person moves around. It usually occurs among people who have thin brain lining and the rise in blood pressure that comes from the physical activity of sex causes spinal fluid to leak, which in turn causes the brain to droop when the person stands.
Causes of Sex Headaches:
There are two causes identified for sex headaches to occur. Though these headaches can occur at any point during the sexual activity. They are
- An orgasm headache occurs because of a spike in blood pressure that causes the blood vessels to dilate. Movement makes these headaches worse.
- A sexual benign headache happens because the increase in sexual excitement causes the muscles to contract in the head and neck, resulting in head pain.
Sex Headaches: Diagnosis and Treatment
Though these headaches are often considered normal and nothing to be worried about sometimes they might have an underlying condition. Due to which it is always recommended to have a check-up at the doctor. Few serious cases where you should see a doctor without fail are
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of sensation
- A stiff neck
- Severe pain that lasts more than 24 hours
- Muscle weakness
- Partial or complete paralysis
A Sex Headache can be Diagnoses with any one of the following ways:
- MRI of your head to exam the structures within your brain
- CT scan to look at your head and brain
- MRA or CT Angiography to see the blood vessels in your brain and neck
- Cerebral Angiogram to exam your neck and brain arteries
- Spinal tap to determine whether there’s bleeding or infection.
Treatments Which are available are:
Treatment depends on the cause of a headache. Usually, a painkiller is enough to subside the pain but medicine can be prescribed too for preventing any future headaches. In some cases, it can be due to other serious medical complications like brain hemorrhage, tumor, stroke and more.
But depending on the root cause your doctor will determine the best course of action to treat it and most of the cases are treatable with right medications.
What is Addiction? Addiction is a compulsive seeking, and then obtaining, of a substance while behavior increasingly becomes out of control. A condition that results when a person ingests a substance (alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (gambling) that can be pleasurable. The continued use of, which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary Read More
Causes Of Depression: Psycho-social causes: According to Sigmund Freud, the father of psycho-analysis, unresolved conflicts involving relationships with care givers in infancy and childhood leads to depression. Individuals who receive parental overprotection or parental neglect might not be able to develop adequate competencies for coping with various life stresses. This is likely to make them Read More
WHAT IS ASTHMA? Asthma is a chronic disease that affects the airways, which causes breathing problems. It can be life threatening. The inside walls of the airways are inflamed (swollen). The inflammation makes the airways very sensitive, and they tend to react strongly to allergens or irritants. When the airways react, they get narrower and Read More
Sugar, we may love it, but it doesn’t love us back. It’s bad for our health – and our waistlines. One of the most obvious reasons why sugary foods and drinks are bad and can undermine your health is that they tend to be high in calories but not all that filling. That makes it Read More
The kidney is the vital organ of our body. It helps in the filtration and clearance of all the waste from our body. It also helps in elimination of filtered residues in the body. The kidney is constantly in a phase of filtration and elimination of minerals, toxins and other process residues from the blood Read More