Is it Normal to get Headache during Sex?
A headache and Sex, not a good combination at all. You wouldn’t want to feel something painful when you are pleasured, right? But unfortunately this condition though rare, exists and the majority of the time its men who experience it.
So let’s get started with the basics.
What is a Sex Headache?
It is an uncommon headache scientifically known as Coital Cephalgia which occurs in skull or neck during any sexual activity including masturbation or orgasm. People who already suffer from migraine problem are more prone to it.
There are three types of Sex Headaches
- Orgasm or Thunder Clap Headache – This type of a sex headache occurs before or during the sexual release. It starts suddenly with a severe throbbing pain and can continue for several hours later on. It is usually more painful than the other and the patient is recommended to immediately reach his doctor regarding the same. As this headache can also be a warning sign of a brain hemorrhage.
- Sexual Benign Headache – It starts as a dull pain in the head and neck that builds up as a person becomes more sexually aroused. It is disruptive but not serious. Michael Reitano, M.D., a physician in residence at Roman says that this kind of a headache for some can be treated with painkillers like ibuprofen while other need prescribed drugs.
- The third type of a headache is extremely rare affecting only one in twenty thousand people and it starts after sex and worsens when the person moves around. It usually occurs among people who have thin brain lining and the rise in blood pressure that comes from the physical activity of sex causes spinal fluid to leak, which in turn causes the brain to droop when the person stands.
Causes of Sex Headaches:
There are two causes identified for sex headaches to occur. Though these headaches can occur at any point during the sexual activity. They are
- An orgasm headache occurs because of a spike in blood pressure that causes the blood vessels to dilate. Movement makes these headaches worse.
- A sexual benign headache happens because the increase in sexual excitement causes the muscles to contract in the head and neck, resulting in head pain.
Sex Headaches: Diagnosis and Treatment
Though these headaches are often considered normal and nothing to be worried about sometimes they might have an underlying condition. Due to which it is always recommended to have a check-up at the doctor. Few serious cases where you should see a doctor without fail are
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of sensation
- A stiff neck
- Severe pain that lasts more than 24 hours
- Muscle weakness
- Partial or complete paralysis
A Sex Headache can be Diagnoses with any one of the following ways:
- MRI of your head to exam the structures within your brain
- CT scan to look at your head and brain
- MRA or CT Angiography to see the blood vessels in your brain and neck
- Cerebral Angiogram to exam your neck and brain arteries
- Spinal tap to determine whether there’s bleeding or infection.
Treatments Which are available are:
Treatment depends on the cause of a headache. Usually, a painkiller is enough to subside the pain but medicine can be prescribed too for preventing any future headaches. In some cases, it can be due to other serious medical complications like brain hemorrhage, tumor, stroke and more.
But depending on the root cause your doctor will determine the best course of action to treat it and most of the cases are treatable with right medications.
We have heard enough of diseases which are spread by mosquitoes. These diseases are considered serious and so catches immediate attention for treatment. The mosquitoes are well known for transmitting viruses from one person to another. One such harmful virus is the Zika virus. Unlike other viruses, the zika virus is a deadly virus. In Read More
Sciatica is actually the largest nerve which begins from nerve roots in the spinal cord in the lower back extending through the buttock area sending the nerve endings branches and extend down the lower limb to the ankle and foot. And as the name suggests sciatica pain is related to the nerve. However, it is Read More
In simple words, pancreatitis is the inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is the organ behind the stomach which produces digestive enzymes. In pancreatitis, the pancreas is inflamed. The damage occurs when the digestive enzymes are activated before they are released into the small intestine which generally does not become active until they reach the Read More
Colon cancer is cancer of the large intestine (colon), the lower part of your digestive system. Rectal cancer is cancer of the last several inches of the colon. Together, they’re often referred to as colorectal cancers. Most cases of begin as small, noncancerous (benign) clumps of cells called adenomatous polyps. Over time some of these Read More
Our bodies are made up of about 70% of water. Hence water is actually the elixir of life! But this killing heat of summer may accelerate and cause loss of water which may lead to dehydration, Dehydration is also caused due gastrointestinal ailments like diarrhea, nausea etc or diabetic patients lose it due to excess Read More