A large section of population wants to have their own children, most preferably. But in some cases, that is not possible. It can be because of inability to conceive in the wife or the husband, or the couple being gay or a single man or woman desiring to have his or her own child. In such cases, those people can go for In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) surrogacy in India. They can easily opt for India as the costs are much lower here and also chances of finding a surrogate mother here are quite high.
So, evidently there are many such unfortunate couples and individuals out there who cannot bear their own children. But they can still become parents by opting for surrogacy. And hence the demand graph for surrogacy peaks inevitably. Regardless of this great demand, there are moral issues surrounding this surrogacy debate, a kind of moral conflict turning this great opportunity into a great controversy. As a matter of fact, there are various laws in the US defining exactly what is acceptable about IVF and what goes against the law and should not be practised. Turning towards India for surrogacy can in such situations boost hopes of such unfortunate couples.
What are the Advantages of choosing India for IVF Surrogacy?
- It will cost you only a fraction of that in the US or anywhere else.
- Medical tourism is a large and well organized industry in India, and hence India is well equipped to cater to your needs.
- Legitimate, and well prepared IVF centers in India and specialists are set up with various screened and tried surrogate mother in their documents. The ladies comprehend, and have concurred that conveying another family’s youngster is a job for which they are being enlisted, and that when the infant is conceived it will be given over to its appointing guardians.
What are the various laws guiding the IVF Surrogacy in India?
- There is no law confining any outsider originating from another nation and enlisting surrogate mother in India to give birth to their babies.
- The outsiders opting for IVF surrogacy can be either married or unmarried, gay, or single.
In any case, in light of the fact that there is likewise no international law with respect to surrogacy, now and then the legitimate nationality and lawful parentage of the kid can bring about perplexity when the new family returns home.
Another law is as of now being discussed in the Indian parliament. In addition to other things, it contains arrangements for:
- An independent agency that will monitor and take care of the Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) banks. Instead of the clinics, these banks are designated to recruit the surrogate mothers in India. This move also empowers the mothers with greater independence to negotiate their own fees.
- Each mother is limited to only 5 surrogate pregnancies.
- Each surrogate mother is entitled to an age limit of 35 years.
- An earlier assurance that the nation of origin of the charging guardians will acknowledge the child as theirs once it is conceived
What things you ought to Consider Before Planning your Trip to India for IVF Surrogacy?
Research the capabilities of the IVF specialists in India and their centers, so you know the ones you need to work with. Additionally, investigate the laws in regards to surrogacy in your nation or state on the accompanying:
- Will you be legitimately perceived as a parent or guardians of the newborn?
- Will your newborn be perceived as yours and be issued a passport to come back to your nation of origin?
- Will you need to experience adoption procedures before the newborn will be viewed as yours?
A few nations require a DNA test to demonstrate that the newborn is identified with one of the authorizing parents. A few nations would need consent from the birth parent (the surrogate mother) before the commissioning parent is permitted to travel to his or her own country with the child.
You are highly advised to get an agreement made covering every one of these issues signed by every one of the members . It is likewise fitting for the commissioning parents to employ a legal counselor in their nation of origin who can work with an attorney in India to draft the agreement.
Why should you Travel for IVF Surrogacy to India?
Since a large number of individuals as of now have and are content with their newborns, you should travel to India for surrogacy for the following reasons:
- India already has the mastery and the experience, needed to deliver surrogacy.
- The nature and quality of surrogate moms working with the best IVF specialists in India is the finest.
- The expenses will be much lower.
Going to your pregnant surrogate and being there at the birth of your child additionally, will give you the chance to encounter the marvels of a rich, delightful, old culture. IVF surrogacy in India is turning into the favoured choice for unfortunate childless couples and individuals all around the world.
IVF or The In Vitro Fertilization is the process of fertilization of the egg or eggs outside the body. It’s a fertility treatment in which eggs and sperms are combined in the laboratory. The resulting embryos are assessed for quality and one or more are placed in the uterus through the cervix. The IVF Treatment can be performed by using your own eggs and sperms or the donated eggs and sperms.
Why go for IVF treatment?
IVF can help you get pregnant if you have problems like ovulation, egg quality, blocked fallopian tubes, or if your partner has problems with sperm count or mobility. It helps you get pregnant using a donor egg or sperm. This treatment can also be used if the doctors can’t figure out the exact reason for infertility or if other treatment options have failed.
What is the IVF Process?
IVF has the following treatment procedures:
- Ovary stimulation: in this, 8 to 14 days around your menstrual cycle you will be advised to take a fertility drug such as gonadotropin. This stimulates your ovary to produce multiple eggs for fertilization instead of just one. You will also be advised to take a synthetic hormone to prevent your ovaries from releasing eggs too early.
- Follicle development: the follicles are the fluid-filled sacs where the eggs mature. When you take these medications, you should visit your doctor every 3 to 4 days to have your blood hormone levels checked and to observe your ovaries under ultrasound.
- The trigger shot: when the follicles are ready, you will be given a trigger shot which is a medicine that causes your eggs to mature fully. They are then capable of being fertilized. After 36 hours of the trigger shot, your eggs are ready to be retrieved.
- Gathering the eggs: the doctor inserts an ultrasound probe into your vagina to observe the ovaries and follicles. A needle is then inserted through the vaginal wall to remove the egg from the follicle. About 8 to 15 eggs are obtained.
- Fertilization: the embryologist will check the quality of the eggs before combining it with the sperms. Fertilization takes place during this time. ICSI –intracytoplasmic sperm injection is a technique in which each sperm is directly inserted into the mature eggs.
- Developing embryos: after the retrieval of the eggs, the eggs that are successfully fertilized will form a 6 to 10 celled embryo. By the 5th day, the embryo will become blastocysts with fluid-filled cavity and tissues that will develop into placenta and baby.
- Embryo selection: after the egg retrieval, the embryologist will choose the most viable embryo to place it into the uterus. If there are any extra embryos, it can be preserved for future IVF cycles.
- Planting the embryo: the doctor will place 1 to 5 embryos in your uterus, depending on the diagnosis and your age. It is placed using a catheter. One might feel slight cramping but you’ll not need an anesthesia.
- Successful implantation: if the treatment is successful, then the embryo implants in your uterine wall and grows into a baby. If more than one embryo is transferred the chances of getting pregnant are more. About 20%of IVF cases will give birth to twins, triplets, or more.
You can take a pregnancy test after two or three weeks of the embryo placed into the uterus.
What is the role of men?
Around the time, when your partner’s eggs are collected, you will have to produce the sample of your sperms. The sperms will be washed and prepared so that the active ones are separated from the poor quality ones.
Also read: How would you know you’re ovulating?
How long will IVF take?
The duration is about 6 to 8 weeks to complete one IVF cycle. You will have to wait for a week for the eggs to get mature. Then, consult your doctor to have the eggs retrieved and fertilized. After, 3 to 5 days you will have to again visit the doctor’s clinic to have the embryos inserted into the uterus.
What is the success rate of IVF Treatment?
The success rates highly depend on the couple’s reasons for infertility and their ages. The younger the couples, the greater is the possibility of success rates due to healthier eggs.
The % of IVF cycles resulting in live births is about:
- 40% of women under 34 years of age
- 31% of women between 35-37 years
- 21% of women between 38-40 years
- 11% of women between 41 to 42 years
- 5% of women between above 43 years
What are the pros of IVF?
Advantage of IVF Treatment:
- It has been a successful method of fertilization without causing any harmful effects on the child.
- It has been in existence for years and is a widely preferred method of fertilization when all other methods fail.
- The use of fertility drugs has no connection with ovarian cancer
- Researchers still find a way to refine and improve IVF procedures.
Any treatment procedures come along with its own drawbacks and shortcomings. In that aspect, IVF has its own Disadvantage. Those are:
- Highly expensive
- Time-consuming procedure
- There are changes of miscarriage and other complications
- There are more chances of giving birth to twins & triplets.
- Increased risk of ectopic pregnancy
- Risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome
- Failure of the treatment in some cases
What does IVF cost?
A few decades ago, people thought of IVF procedure as a mysterious procedure used for infertility treatment that produces test tube babies. Later did they realize that it was the most effective method of fertilization by external means.
The cost of IVF treatments in various states excluding the drugs & blood test charges are listed below:
- Mumbai: INR 2,00,000 -3,00,000
- Bangalore: INR 1,60,000-1,75,000
- Chennai: INR 1,45,000-1,60,000
- Delhi: INR 90,000-1,25,000
- Nagpur: INR 75,000-90,000
- Hyderabad: INR 70,000-90,000
- Pune: INR 65,000-85,000
- Kolkata: INR 65,000-80,000
Other factors that affect the IVF cost in India:
A woman under 35 years of age has 32% chance of success at the IVF treatment whereas woman above 39 years of age may need 5 or more treatments in order to get pregnant. The woman’s age is the most important factor in determining the success rate of the treatment. Some clinics also offer multiple-cycle IVF cost plans, which would be much cheaper for the couples.
- ¨ Couples with low fertility levels will require donor sperm or donor eggs. The cost of donor sperm is about INR 8,000 to 12,000 whereas the cost of a donor egg is INR 28,000 to 42,000.
- ¨ Donor embryos are preferred by couples where one or both the partners are likely to have a serious health condition which could be inherited by the children. The cost donor embryos for IVF treatment may range from INR 36,000 to 52,000.
- ¨ Some couples prefer to go with frozen embryo transfer so that they can be thawed and transferred into women’s uterus at a later date and as per the couple’s convenience. The cost of frozen embryo transplant can be anywhere between 20,000 to 30,000
- ¨ The Testicular Sperm Aspiration (T.E.S.A) is a sperm extraction procedure which is done in men who has a vasectomy but still desires to have a child. It is a simple procedure which takes about 30 minutes that involves local anesthesia. A small needle is used to extract sperm directly from the testicle. The cost of this procedure is generally about INR 12,000 to 18,000.
- ¨ Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) is a technique in which each sperm is directly inserted into the mature eggs. This is preferred by couples who face male fertility issues such as low sperm count and poor sperm quality. The cost of ICSI procedure from 20,000 to 45,000
Also Read: Womb on sale: Surrogacy in India
Freezing embryo for IVF treatments
This technique is becoming a popular choice among women who wish to pursue their career during their 20s & 30s and then raise children when they are in their 40s. The cost of embryo prevention is the combination of cost of the initial procedure and annual charges to keep the embryos frozen. The initial procedure will cost about INR 20,000 to 30,000 and you will have to pay an additional INR 4,000 to 6,000 each year to preserve them.
Don’t narrow down your choice only on the basis of the cost. The cost of various IVF treatments will differ from city to city and from clinic to clinic. Look for the best hospitals and surgeons that provide the best IVF treatments in India.
You may also like: How Climate Change Could Affect Your Pregnancy ?
Top 10 IVF treatment hospitals:
- Max healthcare- New Delhi
- L.H Hiranandani Hospital-Mumbai
- Infertility India- Mumbai
- Virk center for human reproduction- Punjab
- Bloom fertility center- Maharashtra
- Nova IVI fertility- Gujarat
- BLK Super specialty hospital-New Delhi
- Apollo hospital center for assisted reproduction- Bangalore
- Indira infertility clinic & research center- Udaipur
- Shivani fertility & mother care- Rajasthan
The Indian government has not laid any laws based on surrogacy or IVF treatments but has scheduled guidelines for the visa purposes. Foreigners have to be aware of those guidelines if they wish to take up treatment in India.
While IVF treatments may seem expensive, they are fairly reasonable considering the sophisticated medical technology used and the expertise of the doctors. Besides, when it comes to children, as any couple who has undergone the treatment will tell you, it’s certainly worth it.
For more details about IVF and get yourself treated by best gynaecologists of India, you may contact Free Doctor Helpline at +918010555444