The Sexual Dysfunction is basically referred to as the problem that prevents an individual or the couple from experiencing sexual activity. This may arise during any phase of the sexual response cycle. This can eventually cause strain in your relationship with your partner and is medically referred to as female sexual dysfunction. This can occur at any stage in life and may turn out to be a lifelong issue.
“Sex” & sex-related problems is a topic that many people are hesitant to discuss. But so, fortunately, most cases of sexual dysfunctions are treatable and it is important for one to discuss with your partner & doctor.
[su_button url=”https://tawk.to/chat/57670ffeec8ca2561a070639/default/?$_tawk_popout=true&$_tawk_sk=5b050323ba7dc7f617980838&$_tawk_tk=baca9b22aad518275ef52f9d3a62e0df&v=574″ target=”blank” background=”#68b750″ size=”5″]Consult with Specialist Doctor[/su_button]
The Sexual response cycle involves 4 phases: excitement, plateau, orgasm & resolution. The sexual response involves many factors like emotions, beliefs, experiences, lifestyle & relationship. Disruption in any of these factors will affect the sexual desire.
TYPES OF FEMALE SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION:
- Low sexual desire – lack of sexual interest
- Sexual arousal disorder – difficulty with arousal or maintaining arousal during sexual activity
- Sexual pain disorder-pain associated with vaginal contact or sexual activity
- Orgasmic disorder – difficulty in achieving orgasm
CAUSES OF SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION:
There are two main causes associated with sexual dysfunction – one is the physical and other is the psychological cause. The physical cause may be due to many medical conditions such as diabetes, kidney failure, heart disease, hormonal imbalance, liver failure, drug addiction, cancer or bladder related problems have high chances of decreasing your body’s ability to experience sexual activity.
Certain medications such as antidepressant drugs, chemo drugs, blood pressure medications can also cause problems with sexual functions. On the other hand, anxiety, pressure, work-related stress, marital or relationship problems are the main psychological causes for experiencing sexual problems. Both men and women of all ages are equally affected by sexual dysfunction. The problem becomes more serious in older adults as their health declines with aging.
HOW DOES SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION AFFECT WOMEN?
- Lack of sexual desire: Many factors such as hormonal changes, medical conditions such as heart problems, cancer, chemo drugs, depression, etc can lead to lack of sexual interest. Stress, pregnancy, boredom with regular sex entertainments can also be one of the reasons.
- Inability to become aroused: Insufficient vaginal lubrication may also be the reason for the inability to become sexually aroused. This may be due to inadequate stimulation or anxiety. Blood flow problems to vagina and clitoris may also contribute to arousal problems.
- Anorgasmia: it is a condition where the absence of sexual climax takes place. It may be due to lack of knowledge, guilt, anxiety, or past sexual trauma.
- Painful intercourse: a painful sexual intercourse may be due to the number of reasons like pelvic mass, poor lubrication, scar tissue after surgery, or ovarian cysts. A condition called vaginismus is even more painful as the involuntary spasm of muscles surrounds the vaginal entrance. It is mostly seen in women who fear penetration is painful or has a sexual phobia.
DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT FOR SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION:
To diagnose the female sexual dysfunction your doctor will first perform a pelvic exam to look for any physical changes that can affect your sexual enjoyment. The physical changes may be thinning of genital tissues, a decrease in skin elasticity, or any scar or pain. Though you may not feel comfortable, it is better to discuss your sexual and medical history with your doctor because your sexuality is the key part of your well-being. The more openly you discuss your problems with your doctor the greater is your chances of finding a better approach for treating them. You can also consult a counselor or a therapist specialized in sexual and relationship problems so that you will find a better way of dealing with it.
Your doctor may also order you to take other tests so as to rule out other medical problems that can affect sexual dysfunction. A complete evaluation of your attitude towards sex and other underlying factors like anxiety, fear, stress will also help the doctor to have a thorough understanding of your health and thus he will be able to recommend appropriate treatments.
TREATMENT FOR FEMALE SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION:
It is necessary to note that female sexual dysfunction becomes a problem only if it bothers you. If it doesn’t bother you then it is not a problem at all. Also, there are many causes and symptoms and so the treatment might not be the same for
Sexual Dysfunctioning in females can be Cured?
The success of treatment depends on the intensity of the underlying problem. Mild dysfunction which is related to stress and anxiety can be treated with counseling, consulting therapist, and better communication with partners.
Here are some non-medical treatment methods for female sexual dysfunction!
As in other medical conditions, the treatment for female sexual dysfunction need not necessarily begin with surgical tools. Your doctor would first recommend you to go through the following:
- Improved communication with a partner: An open communication with your partner helps you halfway through to overcome the problem. Discussing your likes and dislikes will make a lot of difference in the world of your sexual life.
- Healthy lifestyle habits: practicing healthy lifestyle is an important factor that can influence your sexual life. Being physically active is very important to increase your stamina and elevate your mood and romantic feelings.
- Seek out ways to reduce stress so that you can enjoy more on your sexual experience.
- Lubrication: if at all you experience pain or dryness during sex, you can use a vaginal lubricant that will prevent vaginal dryness and makes things easy thereafter!
- External device: some may not find this to be a comfortable method but for those who don’t mind can try this. You may use an external device called vibrator to enhance sexual arouse.
Effect of hormones on female sexual dysfunction:
One may experience less interest in sex with aging as the female hormone estrogen tends to decrease and menopause tends to be another reason. Poor vaginal lubrication & decreased genital sensation are some problems related to menopause.
Estrogen & androgen therapy- the estrogen therapy comes in the form of a vaginal ring, tablet, or cream. This helps in sexual function by increasing the vaginal tone, lubrication, blood flow and elasticity. Though women have much lower rates of testosterone, it plays an important role in healthy sexual function. Androgen therapy deals with enhancing the levels of testosterone. One must keep in mind that these therapies have both advantages and its own disadvantages. The risks are often associated with the women’s age, type of hormone, whether estrogen is given alone or along with progestin, the dosage, etc.
Effect of menopause on lower sexual desire: During the menopause period, women undergo a lot of hormonal changes and this may be one good reason for the women’s loss of interest in sex. Another reason would be the loss of estrogen after the menopause. In these cases, a vaginal lubricant or Hormonal replacement therapy(HRT) can play a role in boosting sex drive. On a contrary, there are cases of women who experience increased satisfaction in sex due to reduced hormonal changes. This is due to reduces stress and anxiety and also postmenopausal women have fewer child-rearing responsibilities.
Initially, it was only used as an antidepressant. Later on, it was approved by FDA to be used as a treatment for low sexual desire in women. Daily intake of addyi, can boost the sex drive in women and increase the levels of sexual desire.
One may experience sexual problems from time to time. This may not turn out to be a major problem but the problem becomes serious when it is persistent as it may cause distress for the women and also for her partner. When you experience these kinds of a problem then it becomes advisory to go consult a doctor and have a complete evaluation done for yourself!
To get more health tips or advises from specialists log on to www.freedoctorhelpline.com or call us at +918010555444.
Also Read: Common Sexual problems in men
[su_posts posts_per_page=”5″ order=”desc”]